09 July 2008

Salmon with Japanese Plum Wine



Photobucket


Being passive drinkers, we are often clueless about wine even when we are offered the best, but there is always a good bottle sitting at home and constantly replenished.
Note : this is not an ad. Neither am I paid for this post. =P

My love relationship with Japanese Choya Plum Wine or ' Umeshu ' has long influenced big boys like Daddy and the Bear. Yes, Japanese Choya Plum Wine fascinates the ladies, and lures gentlemen drinkers alike. Lightly alcoholic, the wine infused with the sweet and sour taste of plum is delightful to anyone, anytime.

Do you know? Plum wine is homemade in some prefectures of Japan. When the harvest of plum begins, the method is widely shared on tv and magazines. Seemingly easy indeed, and the wine can be consumed a year later. To be on the safe side, we would rather buy this household brand which is available year round at a very cheap price.

I shall share different ways of drinking this wine some time later. For now, the wine is used for this recipe. =)

Photobucket

Evolved from the Japanese Terriyaki flavour, this dish has the flavour of plum emphasized. With a pinch of wit, I decided to throw a plum in and it turned out to be a positive move! The plum and salmon complemented each other so finely , Bear and I actually fought over them. =P Very well, I shall throw in 2 plums next time.

Photobucket


Recipe for Salmon with Japanese Plum Wine

Serves 2 people

Salmon pieces for 2 persons. Cutting into wedges is optional, remove bones if you must do so.

Japanese Plum Wine ( Choya Umeshu ) : 3 tablespoon

2 plums from the bottle of wine, cut into fleshy pieces, not too small. Discard the seeds.

Soy sauce : 1 tablespoon

Mirin : 1 tablespoon

Water : 1 tablespoon

Brown sugar ( or white ) : 1/2 teaspoon

Olive oil : 2 1/2 tablespoon

Wheat flour

Salt

Pepper

Salad idea : Green salad leaves, sliced onion , tomato, olive, nuts, etc.

1. Lightly marinate salmon with salt and pepper. Coat salmon ligthly with wheat flour.

2. Fry salmon with olive oil in a pan, till golden brown. Draw out salmon and put aside. Wipe off excess oil from pan.

3. In a bowl, mix wine, soy sauce, mirin, water and brown sugar. Mix well. Add in plum pieces. I've added some black fungus for mine ( it's optional ).

4. Heat pan at medium fire. When the pan is hot enough, throw in salmon pieces again, pour in the bowl of mixture prepared in step 3 and stir fry. Do not cook too long for it will soften the plum much. The dish is ready when the mixture starts to thicken a little. Draw out all the ingredients. The remaining sauce should go very well with accompanied salad, if any.

The fleshy plums give salmon a desirable taste, and I suppose they go well with Mackerel too. ( ? Well, I'll find that out... ) The mild tinge of alcohol is no way overwhelming, but absolutely complementing. A refreshing and appetizing dish perfect for Summer. =D












10 comments:

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. Stardust, thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe... I had a few bottles of these small Choya at home and i don't know what to do with it...since i don't drink. So...your this recipe will come handy hehe...thanks...i will go and try this out during the weekends.....:p

Love
Ellena & Reyon

Silvia - Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Wow :-D this recipe is something behind heaven for me..I adore salmon and I'm sure this plum wine is fantastic!
Thanks for sharing the recipe I'll take not even if i don't know where to find that wine..:-P but i'll try to change it with something else..or mybe I'll try at the oriental supermarket. :-D yes that's a great idea!
hundreds of kisses and hundreds of hugs my dear. you are always here with me
Silvia

umekotyan said...

こんばんわ、スターダストさん
あたらしい、ラベンダーのバナーすてきだわ。
いいかおりがしそうです。
すばらしい、場所が、近くにあるのですね。
そして、梅酒とサケのレシピ、美味しそうだわ。
こんど、作って見ないとね。
それと、ume tyanの鼻ですが、土の雑菌が入ったんだろうって、先生に言われて、抗生物質の薬を、飲ませています。
心配してくれて、ありがとうございます。:)

from loved ume tyan

Ladybird said...

Looks and sounds delicious..I'll see whether I can find this jap plum wine here.
Thanks for the recommendation about the plum wine. Nice to get some insider tips ;) .

bp said...

This looks so refreshing, and must be very yummy!

Admin said...

can't refuse such a delicious recipe. will try it soon.

Stardust said...

Ellena, I hope you'll like it. =)

Silvia, I'm not sure if this works with other wine that is not as sweet as the plum wine though...

梅子ちゃん、ウメちゃんの知らせありがとうございます。一安心しますね。=)

Ladybird, I hope you'll like it too. =)

BP, yes, it's a refreshing taste indeed!

Seen This Scene That, you give me a feeling that you're keeping a bottle at home too. =P

Anonymous said...

I have a bottle stashed somewhere in the fridge. This is a nice recipe. And I like that you pair it with salmon.

Stardust said...

Didally, I hope you'll like it too. =)

Anonymous said...

I tried making this tonight with a bit of canned salmon I had and let me tell you, it's so delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It tastes great!