This invention of mine is actually a result of failed attempt of another recipe. Laughs ;P The rolling portion did not work out well so I decided to pile everything together. Ha ha ... My husband likes it so much that he calls it ' the mistake divine '. Under the crispy crust, oozes melting onion-flavoured cheeze with mushroom and a tinge of Perilla leaves or seaweed. You may like to arrange it anew in your choice. Check out the recipe!
Ingredients ( Makes one cutlet )
3 slices of pork, thickness of ham slice
thin slices of onion ( around1 mm thickness )
1 mushroom, sliced thin ( around 2mm thickness )
1 piece of cheeze
2 Perilla leaves ( Or use 2 pieces of seaweed for Japanese style )
1 egg white
- Lightly salt and pepper the pork slices.
- Spread thin slices of onion across a piece of pork slice, followed by the mushroom slices. Tear cheeze into 2 and spread across. See pictures below for details.
- Now, place another slice of pork on top of the stack, with the fats portion facing yourself. See picture below. I think this avoids one-sided fats concentration.
- Fold Perilla leaves into half, spread the 2 folded leaves across. Place the last piece of pork slice across with fats facing away from you and it's done. Cutlet below is finished with seaweed.
- Fasten with toothpicks if you feel that you can't handle the cutlet well.
- Dip in egg white, attach bread crumbs.
- Fry at medium heat until bread crumbs turn into delicious brown.
Frying Tip : If you are using low level of oil, it's better to land the cutlet with cheeze portion facing top, turn it later to fry the reverse. Cheeze tends to ooze out a little after frying, just be careful.
I've made 2 cutlets, one with Perilla leaves, another with seaweed within. My husband loves them both. You may wish to replace with other leaves that carry a unique flavour. It may be a small cutlet, but bear in mind you are consuming 3 slices of pork with that.
A healthy note : Fried food is not a very healthy choice. My family consumes fried food once in a fortnight, if not; longer. Take lots of vegetables and fruit if you must have fried stuff. I shall share some healthier options in days to come. Meanwhile, hope you'd enjoy this humble recipe!